YWIM is proud to offer a Mentorship Program for its membership to help increase
their professional skills and advance their music career.
- YWIM members can request a mentor for 1 or 2 hour sessions on a music-related topic of their choosing. Mentorship Request form below to be completed and sent to Mentorship Coordinator for funding approval. (Please don't arrange mentorship before you've had funding approved)
- Member pays for mentorship fee, and if not already a member, pays Membership fee also prior to session taking place. (Online via PayPal, e-transfer or cheque to YWIM)
- Mentorships can take place anywhere in the Yukon the mentor and member decide - the process remains the same. Together the mentor and member choose a time & place for their sessions. (The Rehearsal Space at Music Yukon is now available for mentorships with advanced bookings and a $10 per 2 hour fee.
- The cost for the member is $10 for 1-hour and $20 for a 2-hour session. The mentor invoices YWIM directly and will be paid $50/hour for each hour of mentorship.
- Mentor and participant member are requested to follow-up with an evaluation form (our funders need this information as part of their evaluation of our final report and for future applications) preferably right away -form also found below.
If you are a YWIM member, or plan to become a member, and have an interest in offering mentorship that could help other women advance their musical careers, or if you have further questions, please contact:
2017 YWIM Mentors List:
Amelia Rose Slobogean
Amelia Rose is a classically trained fiddler with 20 years of experience as a working musician. She is available to mentor with fiddle and violin techniques including: improvising, backing up other instruments and playing in a band.
I have a mixed classical and jazz performance background. Starting at age 6 on piano, adding organ and viola later on, led to many years in the Edmonton Youth Symphony, University Symphony and professionally in the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. I started teaching privately in 1966, while still in high school – piano, organ, violin and viola.
With an Education degree from U of A in Secondary Instrumental Music, I taught grades 4 – 12 in Edmonton starting in 1972, followed by many years in Whitehorse first teaching privately and then teaching grades 6 – 12 and adults. This included concert bands, jazz bands and combos, composition, rock and tech and vocal jazz and strings.
Bass and jazz came together in the 90′s, including 3 years at Malaspina University College doing jazz studies. Since that time, more teaching and lots of gigging in jazz groups. I’ve continued my jazz studies in Louisville, Kentucky in the summers and with distant lessons on bass with David Friesen.
I’d be happy to work in any area that my teaching and playing may be of help to someone!
- Arrangements, charting tunes, keys, theory, & etc.
- Upright bass, jazz studies, or open to suggestions!
Bachelor of Music Composition: lots of music theory skills/writing skills/ear training skills
30 years of Playing Experience: chord structures/playing keyboards/ functions of playing in a band
25 Years teaching experience: elementary classroom music/ private piano lessons/ group piano jazz lessons/ preschool music/ college level child development and music
- Developing stage presence for those that
are shy or just are not sure what to do on stage.
- Voice – including: support, getting more volume,
hitting high notes/low notes
- Group singing: harmony singing, how to blend your voice
- Being a band leader/working with a band/dealing with sound technicians
- Beginning guitar
- Finger picking guitar
- Beginning claw hammer banjo
- Putting music to your lyrics
- Acoustic performance skills
- Finding harmonies
Brenda Lee Katerenchuk B.Mus., B.Ed.
Brenda Lee can help you with any techie queries you are having on your musical journey. Enjoy an inspiring exploration of gadget girl related musings including: ios, songwiting tips, looper pedal savy, guitar accompaniment techniques for your individual vocal style and repertoire, fretboard theory - no piano - no worries. Electric -classical guitar stage performance and gear setup strategies.
She is a professional guitarist, vocalist and music educator with a private teaching studio in downtown Whitehorse.
• Opportunity to practice your songs with a drummer
- Practicing the feel of playing with a drummer
- Getting use to playing with a drummer before hiring one for your show
• Vocabulary of rhythms
- Understanding the basis of rhythm
Writer Elaine Schiman has 15 years experience working at CBC Radio and TV, as well as 5 years in Yukon government communications. She has run a communications business for more than ten years. She offers mentorship in writing news releases and putting together various promotional materials to tell people about your music.
Phone: 668-6721 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Choosing the Right Guitar” Consultation
Erica can thoroughly examine the quality of potential stringed instruments before they are purchased and can advise on choosing one that’s the right ‘fit’ for one’s body size and style of playing. She can examine the ’set up’ on a guitar, mandolin, violin, etc. to ensure the best playability, and can also advise on care and maintaining instruments to suit various temperatures and environments.
Erica Heyligers has been a luthier for 15 plus years here in the Yukon. She has built up a strong cliental repairing guitars and all the other stringed instruments with her fine craftmanship skills and knowledge of luthery.
• social media for the uninitiated
• setting marketing goals
• learn about Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and websites for musicians
• How to set up your Facebook profile or fan page
• learn how to set up Facebook events
• for more advanced users: how to engage fans and pros and cons of Facebook advertising
Kim Beggs has been working as a professional performing artist since 2003. Since then she has released three full length albums to national and international critical acclaim. Her albums are all digitally distributed internationally through itunes, Amazon, cdbaby, etc. The latest album, Blue Bones, is physically distributed in Canada, the USA and Europe and she has toured in all these regions. Her songs have placed in the International Songwriting Competition and her albums have been nominated for two Canadian music awards and one USA music award. Her music has been played on radio, and satellite. Her songs have been licensed in film and TV and she has written sound tracks especially for short films which have been broadcast on CBC TV, and she has made her own films and animations using her own music for sountrack.
Beggs has worked with several different Canadian record producers and two different record labels. She has worked and toured with many different support musicians and artists in Canada and the USA and some in Europe. She is self managed and has worked with booking agents, publicists, managers, presenters, venues, house concert hosts in Canada, USA and Europe. She has booked her own tours. She has project managed the production of four albums including her own. She has financed all her music using her own money but also by using the support of sponsors, and government grants and loans made available to Canadian Artists. She enjoys working with all ages of artists with songwriting and/or career focuses.
- Proposal writing
- Performance skills/connecting with your audience
- Artistic development (voice/instrument Recording project development
- Studio preparation
- Selling product/digital sales
- Info on songwriting royalties/SOCAN membership etc.__
- Mechanical & reproduction rights/CMRRA, SODRAC etc.
- Applying to festivals
- Producing/promoting a concert/event
- Social networking tools (facebook, myspace etc.)
- Marketing/Electronic Press Kits (EPKs) /Sonic Bids
- Working with media/interview skills – print, radio, TV
Keitha has been teaching violin actively in Whitehorse for ten years. She is available to work on all things fiddle.
Nicole Edwards the Executive Producer of her 4 solo recordings & 2 singles. She has performed nationally and in Alaska at a variety of venues. She has produced a variety of concerts including sold-out CD releases, YWIM concerts, youth showcases, house concerts & etc. She books her own gigs, manages her own sales and distribution and a host of other tasks performed by independent artists. Nicole has facilitated many song writing workshops and participated in songwriting circles.
Nicole has a background of working with non-profits. This includes 5 years as Executive Director with BYTE (Bringing Youth Towards Equality) and as a board member of YWIM for 8 of it’s 12 years. This has given her extensive experience in proposal writing, event coordination and promotion, budgeting & etc.
Nicole has over 10 years of experience mentoring in the arts and loves doing it.
Elle est a l’aise en francais.
- Song writing
- Proposal writing: For example applying to FACTOR (Foundation to Assist Canadian Talent On Record) & Yukon Film & Sound Commission, Advanced Artist Award & etc.
- Applying to festivals, booking gigs & venues
- Joining SOCAN (Society of Composers, Authors & Music Publishers of Canada)
- Music licensing & what to do if you want to record a cover song (CMRRA/SODRAC)
- Applying to perform in the U.S (P2 permit)/ performing in Alaska
- Recording a CD or demo/working in the studio
- Being a band leader/working with a band
- Producing a concert/event, seeking sponsorship
- Intro to promoting your music: mailing lists, social networking, press kits & etc.
- Performance skills/connecting with your audience
- Selling music on-line with CD Baby/digital sales
- Interview skills for radio and/or print media
“HOORAY! How beautiful that we can learn from each other and support one another!”
— Nicole Edwards - co-ordinator for first 5 years of the program
Three ways to pay!
1. Email Banking - cash transfer to email@example.com
2. PayPal - use the YWIM website pay link which will connect to PayPal for credit card payments or cash
3. Post mail cheque to: Yukon Women in Music, 361- 108 Elliott St, Whitehorse, YT Y1A 6C4